Sunday, November 8, 2009

On a Jet Plane

In October Sally and I took yet another trip to Utah so I could attend my friend Anna’s wedding. Here are a few highlights of the trip:

Sally and I at Temple Square (with my dad, who took the picture). Sally loved the "big Jesus statue", and I enjoyed my first ever tour of the roof of the Conference Center.


Sally and I at Wheeler Farm. We went with my dad and the Squire girls, Ada and Kate. My dad is enjoying his retirement and is a good sport about taking his granddaughters on outings.


Grandpa and the girls (Kate was with me). It was a beautiful Fall day.


Anna, Kim, Cailey, and myself following Anna's bridal shower.


It was nice to see my friends and my family, but Sally and I missed Neal and I’m getting sick of traveling and being apart. In the past 20 months I’ve been on more airplanes than I hope I am on in any 20 month period in the future:

February 2008: Sally and I flew to Utah for my friend Cailey’s wedding.

June 2008: Sally and I flew to Utah to spend time with my family while Neal was doing a rotation in New Mexico.

September 2008: Sally and I flew to Utah for a visit while Neal was doing a rotation in San Antonio.

October 2008: we took a quick trip to Chicago so Neal could take a test/we could visit Angie and Hyrum. Neal, Sally, and I all traveled together (for the first time).

February 2009: Sally and I flew to Las Vegas to meet up with Neal, who was doing a rotation for school there.

March 2009: Sally and I flew to California to help the Cherry family (Neal’s cousin Caryn and her husband Brett and their four little boys, the youngest of which was hospitalized for leukemia)

June 2009: The three of us flew out to Utah so my parents could watch Sally while Neal and I went hiking in the Grand Canyon.

July 2009: Sally and I flew to Utah for Abby and Scott’s wedding.

October 2009: A trip to Utah for Anna’s wedding, just me and little Sal.

Nine different trips by plane, seven of which have been without Neal. And there are more upcoming: a flight this month to St. Louis (1-way for me, so I can qualify for a free flight from Southwest Rapids Reward; Sally may or may not be with me), and another flight to Utah in December for the Christmas holiday (just me and Sally will travel together—Neal has separate travel arrangements because of his work schedule).

I’m not thrilled about either of these upcoming trips. I’m sick of airports and airplanes and traveling without Neal. Although Sally has always behaved well when we have traveled together, the whole process is exhausting. I do feel lucky that I’ve been able to do so many things and go to so many different places, though. We’ve been on a lot of airplanes, yet we’ve also done a ton of driving, and I’ll take the plane over the car when it’s to a destination more than 200 miles away.

Since Sally is about to turn two (which means she’ll need her own ticket) and I’m about to have two children to travel with, our air travel will decrease significantly. Not a bad thing.

No comments: