Monday, February 15, 2010

Welcome, Little Big Guy!

Much to my delight, Neal and I have a brand new baby boy:

Austin Cornelius Peterson
February 15, 2010, 4:55 AM
8 lb 12 oz
21 1/4 in
Strawberry blond hair

High points:

-Going into labor on my own--no inductions this time!
-Only having to push 4 times to get him out
-A very fun and sweet visit from Sally
-No trouble nursing so far
-My wonderful friend Rosemary taking Sally last night when things starting getting intense

Low points:

-Acid reflux disturbing my slumber last night before he was born
-Multiple nurses having trouble getting my IV started
-Having Neal all but laugh out loud at me during hard contractions (pre-epidural) and tell me that I have no pain tolerance
-The indignity of being helped to the bathroom (before my epidural wore off) by two nurses who commented to my face how difficult it is for them to help people who are so much bigger than them (I'm laughing about it now)

Some photo highlightgs:

The sweet little guy snoozing:



My favorite part of the day:


Father and son:


My sweet little kids meeting at last:


Our happy family:


While I'm totally surprised by his hair color and size, I love him so much and can't wait to get to know him better.

13 comments:

Angie said...

Cute pics! I can't wait to meet the little guy!

Sarah Gessel said...

Emily,
You seriously look great. I hope we get to see him before too long.

Susan said...

Glad Austin made it here safe and sound (and without an induction). Take care!

Susan said...

Oh - and Neal, it hurts more than you could imagine. Let's see you do it!

Jamie said...

He is so cute Emily! Sally looks very happy to see her new little brother1 Congrats!!!

heidi said...

congratulations!!! he looks perfect! and i'll keep in mind to never have neal around when i'm in labor.

emily mcd said...

Hooray hooray! Congratulations! I saw your sister Alison yesterday (in a pool in St. George of all places) and she told me the happy news. Welcome to the world little Austin.

Merilee said...

I laughed out loud when I read about those nurses. Couldn't that have waited 10 minutes? They wish they could be model height.

It reminds me of my friend Amy's blog from last year. A week after she had her baby, while she was carting him around the grocery store, some lady asked her when she was due.

People are so dumb.

Neal has always been the sensitive one in our family. He can pop out the next baby.

I am so glad your labor went alright. I can't wait to get home in two weeks and see him! Yay!!

Emily Peterson said...

From Neal:

I believe Emily's memory may have been clouded about her experience due to the pain. I agree that she was not happy with me during this time but think under the circumstances I could do no right. I was a much better person after the epidural.

Reggs said...

Welcome to the world, Austin!! Many congratulations from the Dicksons! (and holy huge baby, great job, momma!)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! and it is so good to hear from you! :) You have such a cute little family. How fun! I love being a mom, too.

Missy Rogers said...

Congratulations Emily, Neal and Sally. I'm so glad to hear that he has inherited Emily's beautiful hair color!

Michelle S. said...

Emily and Family!!! Congratulations! We are loving being able to see Austin and I LOVE the picture of Sally and you on the hospital bed with him! So adorable!

Thank you for posting! I am sure you have your hands full! Isn't it such a joy?!

It will be very interesting when/if Neal gets gallstones. I hope you post about THAT.