Monday, August 31, 2009

News Blurbs

A few bits of what has been on my mind lately. As you would a newspaper, read all or just what catches your attention.

Pizza! Pizza!

If there is any one food I can pin down as something I’ve craved this pregnancy, I’d have to say pizza. A few weeks ago, after one of our last Frisbee games (in which Neal played really hard and I didn’t play at all), I wanted pizza, and nothing but pizza. At the mere mention of it, Neal took off to the nearest Little Caesar’s and got us a fresh hot ’n ready (pizza always sounds good to him). So at 10:00 at night the two of us consumed an entire large pizza while enjoying the DVD of Northanger Abbey I picked up at the library (we like to compromise in this marriage). I can't think of a more enjoyable evening in recent history.

Those Poor Uninsured

I recently read a sarcastic comment about “those poor uninsured.” Without getting far into politics or my opinion on healthcare reform (another time, perhaps), I have a few things to say about “those poor uninsured” myself. Don’t get me wrong—a few years, or even months, ago, I may have myself sarcastically called the uninsured “poor,” and I don’t think that taxes should be raised for the wealthy to make sure that everyone has health insurance. But I do believe that there are many uninsured people in this nation that do deserve some pity.

Currently my family and I fall into the category of the uninsured (until tomorrow when Neal’s insurance finally kicks in). As a resident at KUMC, Neal and his family are eligible for health insurance under one of the State of Kansas group insurance options (which are good plans). Unfortunately, coverage begins 60 days after the first day Neal works. The anesthesia department offered to pay for any private health insurance plan that we could find for ourselves during the waiting period. Great, we thought, until we were denied coverage by every company we applied to. The reason they gave us for being denied? I went to the doctor for a minor issue a few months ago. So, simply because I visited the doctor, my husband, myself, and my child were all denied health insurance. Never mind that we are healthy, young, and able to pay. Because I actually visited the doctor, I am too high risk for them to insure.

This period of no coverage has been very brief (only a few months—Neal was previously covered under student insurance until May, and Sally and I were on a private plan I found for us), but has opened my eyes to some major problems with health insurance in this nation.

FHE Success!

For all of you out there with small children, I’m sure you’ll agree with me when I say that having a successful FHE (one in which the children learn something and actually pay attention/participate) can be a challenge. We have our ups and downs, but today the planets aligned (or something), and everything went right.

I played our opening song on the piano and Sally didn’t try to stop me—she sat by Neal and sang. Sally stayed reverent during the opening and closing prayers. For the lesson I presented a matching game (pictures of priesthood ordinances and the names of the ordinances). Not only did Sally really like it, she was able to correctly identify the pictures that went with about half of the ordinances (okay, most of them are easy—“Sally, find the picture of the baby being blessed by her daddy”, “Which picture shows boys blessing the sacrament water?,” but I’ll count it as a success anyway).

For our treat we went to the Russell Stover store (which I’ve been eyeing for months now) and enjoyed the $1 ice cream cone special (for a very limited time, and way better than any other $1 ice cream deal in town), and we checked out a toy store for our activity. Sally was an angel throughout. It’s experiences like this that make the hard times worth it.

It’s Autumn Time

Sally has discovered the Primary Children’s Songbook, and always wants me to play songs on the piano (while she pulls of my fingers and interferes, but still INSISTS that I play). If I just sing them, it is not enough—she calls “piano, piano!!!!” I must play. One of her favorites is “It’s Autumn Time.” Very appropriate, as it really is autumn time here in KC (or at least it feels like it). I am loving the days in the 70s and the nights in the 60s. I love having my windows open. I love baking anything I want without being afraid of heating up the house. I’m already formulating plans for fall outings, baked goods, and Halloween costumes.

Let’s Get Crafty

A few months ago I sewed a tote bag for a friend of mine who just had a baby. I really liked the design and fabric, and had quite a bit left over. Lately Sally has been interested in backpacks, so I decided to sew a little drawstring backpack for her. I think it turned out very nicely, and I’m proud of myself for whipping it out with no pattern whatsoever (although I got the idea from other backpacks I’ve seen in the past). Sally likes it, which makes me happy. I’ll have to make her more homemade toys. In fact, I’m planning on it.


The bag I made.
Wow, I used to be so much thinner. Seeing this picture depresses me.

Sally running off with her backpack before I could finish it.

The finished product.

This Really Bites!

I’ve gotten loads of mosquito and chigger bites every summer I’ve spent in Kansas City. I thought I could handle it by now. I was wrong—nothing could prepare me for this summer. Perhaps it is because I’m pregnant and there is more blood flowing through my body, perhaps there are simply more bloodsucking beasts out there, or perhaps there is some other explanation. Well, whatever the reason, I’ve lost battle after battle with the blood-suckers and ended up battered and bloody. Two weeks ago after pulling weeds in my yard for about 5 minutes I got hit hard. I joked to my friends that there were probably 30 chigger bites all over my body, but later when I counted them and counted just about 30 (some are hard to identify for sure—they get you in the worst places imaginable), I realized it was no joke. My legs, my back, my stomach, and other areas I will not mention are now covered with scabs and scars from all of my scratching. I wish I had more self control and could refrain from touching them, but the itching is enough to drive me crazy (especially when I’m trying to sleep at night). I try to follow all of the preventative advice out there, so I’m still trying to find a take home message from this experience.

I'll post again tomorrow about what I find out from my sonogram. I promise it will be a much shorter post.

5 comments:

emily mcd said...

I love your posts. I can't believe how much we have in common. . . it's scary really! From pregnant pizza cravings, insurance denial, love of fall, to delicious blood for the bugs--I totally hear you! Now if only I could get on board with your successful FHE nights and super crafting skills I'd be all set!

Sarah Gessel said...

I really love pizza too. But when I was pregnant I got sick too much after eating pizza and then it wasn't my favorite. I especially used to love pepperoni and now because of the grease factor and the indigestion it caused, it isn't. Oh well. I am sure it will pass.

Susan said...

30 chigger bites? That sounds miserable. I've only had 3 this summer, luckily. I've found that showering right after being outside helps reduce the number.

Stef said...

sounds like your fhe went awesome! when i gather the troops together, our goal is to have fun. some of my friends have said that their fhe was a power struggle between them and their parents or it was a time for their parents to unload on them what they are doing wrong. we do things a little differently and hopefully it's working!

1. we sing songs; but i don't force everyone to sing. sometimes we all sing, sometimes it's just me, but sooner or later it seems like everyone joins in.

2. we might talk a little about serious issues, but it's bookended by fun on both sides.

3. i try to make it a safe haven that my kids will have good memories of.

4. my most important goal of family time is connecting with each other.

bonnie peterson said...

soo much going on! Busy busy woman;) I am so glad you have found crafts and projects to do! You do them so well. You and Sarah really know what you're doing....can't remember if this was the post with the cake or a later one, but it looked so good!