Thursday, December 31, 2009

Sally Turns Two!

I can't believe that my little Sally is two years old. Before she was born, everyone told me how time would fly, but I didn't really get it. I'm starting to understand how true it is, and wanting more and more to make the most of every part of Sally's childhood.

I wanted Sally to have fun on her birthday while keeping things as low-key as possible. Sally enjoys simple things and didn't need anything spectacular to have a special day. Here are a few highlights:



Swinging at the park--Sally's absolute favorite activity. I had fun playing at the park with her and singing lots of songs.



Sally enjoyed being sung to, and enjoyed helping me to make these cupcakes (but not as much as she enjoyed eating them). She loved blowing out her candles and was very proud of herself.



We only handed out a few gifts, which was wise--after she opened this doctor kit, she didn't care about anything else. Earlier in the day I gave her a set of toy food to go with the toy kitchen that Grandma Peterson gave her a few months earlier. She also got a Little People castle set from Grandma Dickson.



She got right to work giving Daddy a check-up.



The day after her birthday we had a few friends over. Here's the cake that I made for it--an almond poppyseed icecream cake. It didn't turn out as cute as I had hoped. I should have gotten fondant to make the dots and bow, but I went the easy route and used fruit by the foot and some yogurt bites that Neal had gotten on one of his rare shopping sprees.



The cake after everyone had firsts. It looked much different after everyone had seconds.



The free-for-all in Sally's room after cake was served. A good time was had by all.

2 comments:

Angie said...

Cute cake! It looks yummy too!

bonnie peterson said...

Emily! You are so talented! I am just catching up on everyone's blogs! You are adorable and such a good sport....being a mommy looks hard;)